This amazing pup saved a family from a house fire, and then reunited with his owners!
Butter the dog barked and barked at the windows of a burning home in Big Stone Gap, Virginia, until the owners woke up and escaped safely.
You won’t believe this! A stray dog who was hanging out near their house turned out to be one of the most unsung heroes in our community.
A dog saved their lives! Charity Golloway and her two children are praising Butter, the pup they found wandering around their home. Butter is a stray who had been spending time near Golloway’s property, so they set up an outdoor shelter with an electric lamp to help him stay warm.
On Thursday, Butter’s lamp caught fire and soon the flames spread to Golloway’s home. Butter ran to the home’s windows and started barking loudly.
“He knew something wasn’t right and that someone needed to know,” Golloway told WJHL. “He’s a smart dog.”
Golloway was up before the sun thanks to her pup’s uproar, and was able to put out the fire before it caused any more damage.
The Golloways didn’t have to worry about their family’s safety this time because they had their trusty dog Butter on high alert. It was all thanks to this pup that the fire at the Golloways’ house was put out before it grew out of control.
“If it wasn’t for him, who knows what could’ve happened. It could’ve been way worse,” Golloway said. “I’m really grateful for that stray dog that wandered up into my yard.”
Wow! Butter is a hero dog, and not a stray at all. Rescue workers from the Valley Volunteer Firefighter Department responded to calls about the fire and took some pictures of the brave pup when they arrived. Some of those photos ended up on FB, where Butter’s owner recognized him as their missing pup Cooper.
Cooper’s owners contacted Golloway to explain the situation, and he is in the process of bringing Cooper back to his family.
“He’s going to be leaving us, and that makes me want to cry, but I’m happy for him,” Golloway said. “We will be staying in touch.”